Ramblings on reading.
All about books, magazines, other blogs.
Writing about adventures in bookselling and the treasures to be found within the pages encountered.
I like words, and the photos or illustrations that often accompany them.


Friday, February 19, 2010

The Hemlock Society or Focus on the Family?

I borrowed this image from the people's voice 

Recently I mentioned that CBS' decision to show a commercial during the Super Bowl featuring Tim Tebow and his mother, which some consider "anti-abortion" should be equally met with an advertisement advocating Dr. Kevorkian and the Hemlock Society, which I feel is "anti-suffering."  A human's right to choose directly equates to "quality of life" issues.

Derek Humphry's interview in Playboy Magazine August, 1992 shed new light for me on The Hemlock Society and enriched my views about assisted suicide, as David Sheff regards Humphry with a cynical eye in this report. I have been interested in this topic of "death and dying" for at least a quarter of a century, and I'm glad to have found something more to read on the subject.

Oh the wondrous things I find in old Playboy Magazines! The Svengali of Suicide? Whatever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell it like it is!