Ramblings on reading.
All about books, magazines, other blogs.
Writing about adventures in bookselling and the treasures to be found within the pages encountered.
I like words, and the photos or illustrations that often accompany them.


Friday, August 27, 2010

How Long Will Modern Last?

Hopefully longer than this:





I've been looking in some of the boxes of magazines I've got stored around here, and ran across a group of House & Garden Magazines from the 1960's. Interestingly, my husband and I had just watched the movie Gangster Number 1 featuring Malcolm McDowell which takes place largely during the 1960's. We were both commenting on the decor, and clothing styles, and I remembered these magazines, so decided to list them. (The movie exhibits shades of brilliance, but it was a lame duck by end).

The question at hand: How Long Will Modern Last? really got me thinking. Modern has so many connotations, although in a literal sense, it's all about today.

We've got Modern architecture that seems to survive the test of time, so long as the materials used in building are not of inferior quality.  All too often, this was not the case.

Then there's Modern art...which resembles Modern Architecture in no way shape or form except on rare occasions, and also stands the test of time especially when inferior materials or perceptions were involved.

As for Modern Fiction, I have no ideas as to what date signifies the beginning of Modern, but I do know that it is being churned out day in and day out and altogether too much of it by inferior minds and methods.  The modern book is not a book, but some electronic file supported by a gizmo which can store a plethora of modernity.


ooh baby, that's what I call mod!

All of these observations from a self-proclaimed solipsist, mind you....at least for today, if the modern today actually exists.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell it like it is!